• Важно
    Имате проблем со најава или регистрација на it.mk?
    Побарајте го решението на вашиот проблем ТУКА!

Finding and exploiting holes in software features

Статус
Затворена за нови мислења.

LiquidWorm

Администратор
26 март 2007
www.zeroscience.mk
Finding and exploiting holes in software features

With the holiday season fast approaching, and being so in the spirit of giving, I thought I’d compile a list of the top features that led to security issues I discovered with co-researcher Billy Rios.

With the New Year on its way, this should give the developers out there a chance to come up with some New Year’s resolutions regarding the lessons learned from a year in the wild world of computer security.

Picasa’s Button Import Feature and Built-in Web Browser/Server

Google’s Picasa includes a button import feature that can be accessed from a URI. This feature is actually quite useful; as it allows a user to click a link and import an XML description of a button into Picasa that when clicked will post images to Tabblo or Flickr albums. This is done with a Java applet that requires user interaction before upload.

Unfortunately, URIs are also accessible to attackers through cross-site scripting (XSS), so an attacker can XSS a Picasa user, load Flash which doesn’t do DNS pinning (this JUST missed our list), and then steal the user’s images without any interaction or confirmation.

I use Picasa to modify my pictures, but I can’t help worrying about the built-in web browser and web server that Picasa includes. Sure, the server is bound to the local loopback, but we can access it through Flash loaded in Picasa’s built-in browser as mentioned above. We could use the Flash we loaded in the built-in browser to attack the built-in server as well, which may lead to more vulnerabilities.

Starting web servers on the local loopback appears to be a design pattern for Google as Google Desktop does the same. From a features standpoint, this may provide a rich environment for extending applications. It’s important to consider the task at hand, and in the case of an application that is being used for photo editing, I have a hard time finding justification for having any service running.

Повеќе: http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=681

:rolleyes:

Статус
Затворена за нови мислења.

Нови мислења

Последни Теми

Статистика

Теми
Мислења
Членови
Огласи
Најнов член